Its the end of semester one of my PhD. It has been fun and sometimes stressful. From funding applications to contacting publishers for potential projects, it has been an amazing experience.
Top Three things I’ve enjoyed this semester:
- Being considered an expert (although prematurely) in a specific subject area. With my thesis question being an area that has not been explored before, it is exciting being known as the go to person for that specific topic. And its also great that so many people are excited about my thesis and the outcome of it (even though this can also be very daunting at times).
- Being able to read all the time and to read things I’m interested in and its all part of my future career. I love that I am actually doing things I love to do and all in the name of a PhD. Its been great growing my knowledge of my topic area.
- Making new friends (virtually). Although COVID has made it very difficult to network and connect with others, I have been able to gain small wins and was able to set up a film club with a small group of people. Here is to another semester of making friends awkwardly online.
Top Three things I’m looking forward to next semester:
- More reading. I cannot wait to start doing some reading again. I am officially giving myself a week away (next week) from my PhD and will be spending the last week of December focusing on non-reading PhD work, e.g. administrative tasks, so by next semester I’ll be ready to go back to my reading.
- Starting one of my thesis chapters. I have to write 10,000 words by June 30th, and I am so excited to begin. I love my topic and just wish that there were more hours in the day so I could read everything I need to read. I cannot wait to begin writing some of my thoughts on paper. I believe that my 365 Days of Writing challenge last year has prepared me for this. I’m so excited.
- Planning my research trips. Ideally, I will be spending some time in Africa next year as my thesis is on African Literature, although COVID might have different plans. I cannot wait!! I will hopefully be visiting a few African countries and spending a considerable amount of time there. I haven’t planned a trip since COVID started and I am itching to travel again.
Here’s to semester two being just as productive, less stressful and more new experiences and exciting opportunities.
Thank you for reading.