Today is the day that everyone returned to the office from their Diwali celebrations. For a longtime, the only things I knew bout Diwali was that it was a time of celebrations and samosas. Over the years I have learnt a lot more about Diwali and Indian food and thought I should share some of my knowledge (on Diwali not the food).
- Diwali is a five days festival.
- It is a celebration of light: the victory of light over darkness, good over evil, knowledge over ignorance.
- It is not only celebrated by Hindus but by Jains, Sikhs, and some Buddhists as well.
- Hindus celebrate the return of deities Rama and Sita to Ayodhya after their 14-year exile.
- Sikhs celebrate the release from prison of the sixth guru Hargobind Singh.
- Jains celebrate the moment Lord Mahavira (the founder of Jainism) reached a state called Moksha (nirvana, or eternal bliss).
To all those celebrating this wonderful festival, I say Happy Diwali.
Thank you for reading.